[pct-l] Map and Compass

James Vesely JVesely at sstinternational.com
Wed Oct 22 11:09:03 CDT 2014

Funny video!

-----Original Message-----
From: pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net [mailto:pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Brick Robbins
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 1:10 PM
To: Pct-L at backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Map and Compass

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Greg Hummel <bighummel at aol.com> wrote:
> In '77 there was no GPS and a lot more challenges following the then unfinished trail than now. We all carried compass and maps. After just a couple weeks you become an expert. I pulled my compass out once in deep snow, that's all. The USFS maps were the best.

Back in 86 there was no GPS either, however the trail was finished (more or less). But back then it was still all uphill - both ways - and in the snow. Kids of today don't know how easy they have it, and if you tell them, they'll never believe you.

I did use my compass often at road crossings, when the "book of lies"
would say "the trail resumes 200 ft west down the road."

Navigation by map in the High Sierra was easy, even in a high snow year like 86, as one simply needed to keep in the correct drainage.
North of I-80, with shorter mountains, and taller trees, navigation by map and compass was much, much trickier. I didn't run out of snow navigation problems till north of Sierra City, and didn't run out of significant coverage till Lassen.

Now Get off my lawn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo