[pct-l] Down booties

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 09:08:20 CST 2014

Socks will work nicely!

Down booties might be an overkill but I ALWAYS carry an extra pair of socks
just to wear to sleep.  Down booties also violate the #1 ultra-light rule
where an item needs more than one function.  So this pair of socks will
become part of my hiking rotation.  Everyday I will wash/rinse out my pair
of dirty socks and strap it to the outside of my pack to dry.  I feel it is
very important to have a clean pair of socks every day as dust and dirt can
act like little razor blades to rub and create hot spots which make your
feet sore.  Go ahead and wear the same shirt for a week but clean the
socks!  I always have 3 pairs of socks (this goes for underwear also but I
am a female); one on my feet, one drying on my pack and a clean pair inside
and to use at night for sleeping.  Usually, I can get by with just rotating
the 2 socks and keep the one pair for night use until the last day before
pulling into a town.  But it's nice to have an extra pair in case you get
wet on a stream crossing on a cold day.  On most days, I just plow through
the stream, shoes, socks and just keep hiking.  It usually dries in a
couple of hours but you can't have waterproof shoes to do this.