[pct-l] Disrespect of the PCT

Rachel Dysart rachel_dysart at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 13:25:18 CDT 2014

Hello,

I've been reading this list several years now and I've seen some great advice and support.  I've also seen a trend amongst a few that I find upsetting.  As a trained scientist I like to look at all the information and consonantly question and reexamine.

As a reliable source of information, I would like to mention a post made by the Hiker Heaven trail angels, the Saufley's, on the Class of 2014 Facebook.  She basically said of the 700 people they have had with them that everyone has been kind, gracious and completely the opposite of the self-entitled rhetoric that has been spreading in the PCT community.  This is from someone who is spending real time with the people who are walking the PCT and I find her data and experience to be reliable.  Her words were kind and encouraging of the current PCT walkers.

I've seen the negative rhetoric on this mailing list.  I think a discrete amount of poor behavior has been generalized to a population of people who are in general kind, appreciative and extremely thankful for their experience of walking the PCT.  I believe this community has over the years demonstrated it's good about self-regulating and self-correcting.  I believe that the PCTA will continue advocating for the trail while educating the walkers on all aspects of safe trail behavior.  If you have solutions or ideas, share with the PCTA.

Generalizations against a population can be dangerous.  People use generalizations to justify many kind of "isms" that end up doing more harm than good.  In the past I've seen "isms" here on this list justify calling women hikers "wh*res" and various other inflammatory things to discourage women.  My experiences have taught me how to ignore the negativity but I do fear a new person to this group may be extremely discouraged.

If you are new to this group, I want to assure you that in general people on this list are kind, helpful, encouraging, wise and compassionate.  No matter what you do, there will always be elitism and discouraging voices.  Ignore them, learn as much as you can, have fun, LNT and keep on walking.

de kf6ycb