[pct-l] RECORD BREAKING....Tunas PCT record attempt

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Mon May 26 13:45:19 CDT 2014

Argentina,
Unsupported means different things to different people.
Also, there is a saying....."HE WHO HOLDS THE RECORD SETS THE TERMS".

In my mind the 3 categories are as follows:

1. WITH SUPPORT TEAM...hiker travels very light with minimal food, water
and gear and has a support team meeting him on the trail with food and
water and gear.

2. SELF SUPPORTED...hiker resupplies along the way without support team.

3. UNSUPPORTED...hiker has no resupplies or assistance of any kind,...no
Burger stops, no handouts,...you live of the land and whats in your pack
from start to finish...no exceptions.
Those were my terms for the JMT unsupported record.

Technically, in my mind, if you subscribe to that philosophy, the PCT can
not be done in a classic unsupported way unless the hiker reverts to
"Gathering & Grazing".

There are many berries & meadows along the trail and you could potentially
thru the PCT without carrying any food.
Except for the desert section...you might have to carry a few nuts to
get you through the desert section.

So, I guess, there actually is a 4th method...the "Gathering & Grazing" method.

JMT Reinhold
The "Grazer".
Argentina wrote:

I don't get these rules for records.
why would hitch hiking make you supported?
Is Scott Williams stashing food along the trail still make it unsupported
or self supported?
So, if you stash food at trail heads you don't go into town, so who cares
if you have a rule no hitch hiking into towns. We need 3 categories of
records or more: Supported; Self supported, Unsupported.

Argentina