[pct-l] Mount Kilimanjaro

Mike Welch encinomw at yahoo.com
Mon May 26 16:03:40 CDT 2014

The Machame Route (Whiskey route) was 5 days up.  They bring you down in 2 days!  The 5 days included an extra day at Karanga Valley which, again, I highly recommend for acclimatizing and rest for the final push up from Barafu Camp.  I was 63 when I did it which was 2 years ago.  It sounds like your a bit older so you'll definitely want the extra day and to go up slowly, pole pole, (Swahili for going slow) and the Machame route provides that opportunity.
I contracted directly with a company called Zara (Tanzania Adventures).  Porters will carry all the heavy stuff and for us PCT hikers that is one neck of a luxury.  Of course for us old timers, you may want to refuse the porters service and hike the way real men used to hike.  Remember the 20 pound boots we used to hike in.  I wore bricks for insoles.  And the canvas backpacks at 25 pounds each with nothing in them!  I used to stick a Coleman stove in there with a gallon of gasoline for fuel.  I'd take that Coleman stove out, pour gasoline all over it and just set the whole damn thing on fire.  Then I'd bring out the hot dogs.  These youngsters just have no appreciation for the way things used to be on the trail.  Man, now if I could just remember where I put my copy of the "Tibetan Book of the Dead".  Oh well,  hope your climb goes well, Mountain Mike