[pct-l] Disrespect of the PCT

Elizabeth King ekingc at gmail.com
Fri May 23 09:32:11 CDT 2014

As a newbie to the trail (NOT a thru-hiker.... yet...), this conversation
is very disheartening.

1. Because all of this seems like common sense. When you're in the
backcountry hiking and backpacking, you should more or less expect to rely
on your own preparation and wits. However, how beautiful to have a
community where the members love the experience and the land so much that
they are willing to help make the experience possible for others who* want
to take the experience seriously,* and treat the land with respect. Just
reaching out to this list has been so tremendously helpful with planning,
and I hope I've adequately expressed my gratitude and followed the proper
etiquette guidelines in my requests for help.

2. On my short, first hike, I am hoping for a challenging, enjoyable *learning
experience*--this conversation is making me think I am likely to encounter
a bunch of grouches who feel I have no right to set foot on the trail and
wouldn't help me find north if I were dead lost, or a bunch of frat boys
whose moms read Wild. It can't all be bad... right...? This list alone has
shown me there's plenty of great folks.

3. I'm troubled by all this talk about entitlement. Technically, all US
citizens are "entitled" to the trail. So I think that creating a discourse
of an exclusive community belonging only to the most hardcore backpackers
who started hiking before some of us were born is unfair. However, I agree
1000% that to expect and even demand free help from perfect strangers is
out of control. I suspect that those in this conversation have been
referring to a sense of an entitlement to certain benefits of the community
(including the extremely generous assistance of TAs and others willing to
help), that have to be earned by displaying respect, etc.

Now, I'm coming from a place where I am hoping to be let in to this
community, and want to learn it before I claim to be a true member, so I
hope I am not speaking out of turn. I haven't seen the trail change over
the years, I haven't seen it at all yet! But I would hope that some out
there have faith in those of us who really believe in Leave No Trace and in
common courtesy to others. I can at least promise that my 2 travel
companions will be hoping to learn, and will maximize our respect of the
trail, fellow hikers, all who help, and a general ethics of human decency.
We DEFINITELY will not be leaving errant trash bags.... good grief.