[pct-l] Disrespect of the PCT

Matt Signore mpsignore at gmail.com
Thu May 22 20:35:46 CDT 2014

Many of the hikers that attend the ADZPCTKO are anywhere from a hundred to
700 miles North on the PCT in low snow years.  They have already been to
3-4 angels homes already and acting however they act without the ADZPCTKO
as the excuse.  So, I'm not sure that the ADZPCTKO is the cause of the
entitlement.  Bad upbringing maybe, but at some point you have to stop
blaming someone's parents.  Some people are just twits.  The entitled
individuals showed up to the monument with the entitlement ingrained in
them already.  For me it isn't worth getting all worked up trying to put
the toothpaste back in the tube.

Personally I don't necessarily agree with water caches either.  However,
that is how some people stay connected to the trail.  They like putting
water out for hikers and reading the registers to see who came through
 These people want to help others.  Who am I to say they can't?  These
angels do it out of enjoyment.  They are volunteering.  If their volunteer
efforts become a burden it is up to them to stop the activities that cause
the distress.  I am a skeptical person, and I don't believe everyone will
do what is right.  The people that are takers and not givers are not my
friends.  I won't hang out with them for guilt by association reasons.

Also, I have cached water for myself on other trails that are much drier  I
mean 50+ mile carries between unreliable water sources.  The PCT doesn't
NEED caches, but they exist.  So, it isn't a supported less pure hike
scenario for me.  Just that I will be damned if I am going to have someone
spend all Spring caching water for hikers just so I don't have to walk 10
minutes off the PCT for a natural water source.

This is where you start to lose me

"The natural filters that weeded out the unfit and undeserving in the past are
being eroded as time goes on"

What trait makes a person fit and deserving to walk across the country?
 Sounds kind of like "get off my lawn you pesky kid" mentality.  All the
Triple Crown trails are getting more crowded.  Us "old timers" need to
adapt.  Personally I find more remote trails far more pleasant than the
more crowded trails.  If you are losing your love for the PCT it may be
time to find other trails you enjoy as much.  Hopefully you find a happy
place.  Because the PCT is not going to go back to the way it used to be.

*http://www.yogisbooks.com/ <http://www.yogisbooks.com/>*