[pct-l] Switchback

walt Durling durlfam4 at icloud.com
Fri May 16 21:06:10 CDT 2014

Well, I can't say I'm even close to being in such august company.  But I just exited the trail for a bit of family stuff and plan on returning soon. Several says ago I hiked in from near  the portal to Kennedy Meadows. I passed about 2 dozen thru hikers headed north - the vanguard of this years' class.

Anyway, I stopped at the 1st Kern River Bridge - coming from the north- to pick up some water.  While there I took the opportunity of washing my feet and socks.  I first chased a few cows away by lightly prodding them with my hiking poles.  When I finished by feet bath, I carefully dried and powered them.  I carefully put on one sock and shoe.  I managed to get the other sock on and stood up to put on the remaining shoe.  I lost my balance and to avoid falling into the damn river I stepped back with  my stocking foot... right into a fresh, fragrant, juicy cow patty!  Oh, the trials and tribulations of the trail!

Sent from my iPad