[pct-l] Hanging Food vs. Tent

Michael Irving michaeljirving at gmail.com
Sat May 10 16:48:55 CDT 2014

I know...this has been discussed before, but now I'm speaking from
experience.  In the past, I've always hung my food.  I wasn't so worried
about bears as I was about little varmints.  I hiked 8 miles past Tunnel
Falls and Twister Falls on the Eagle Creek trail in the Gorge in Oregon
last night (PCT alternate to Cascade Locks).  It was raining most of the
time so when I was getting ready for bed and it was dark I decided to try
this in-the-tent-food-thing.  My food was in manufacturer sealed wrappers
(except the coconut) and in a gallon Ziploc bag that was sealed.  I woke up
this morning to a quarter-sized hole chewed through the corner of my tent.
 The varmint chewed through the gallon ziploc and through the wrapper of my
Snickers and Pop Tart and ate the equivalent of a small-human-bite out of
each of them.  It also chewed through another pint-sized Ziploc inside the
sealed gallon one and ate some dried coconut.

Needless to say this was all going on about a foot from my head.  I can't
believe I didn't wake up as I'm a very light sleeper when I camp.  I did
have earplugs in and Eagle Creek was roaring about 40' from my tent...but
still!

Anyway, this obviously has me re-thinking my strategy.  My perception from
this list and PCT blogs is that most hikers don't hang their food.  Was I
just unlucky?  Is my perception wrong?

Thanks...I'm heading to the PCT in a week to do a 135-mile section...can't
wait!

-GoalTech