[pct-l] Snow situation east of Rainy Pass not good for SOBO hikers

Rob Langsdorf mctrob at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 18:10:11 CDT 2014

A friend of mine, who lives east of Rainy Pass, sent me the following:

Highway 20- Rainy Pass- is still closed and won’t open until mid-May.  It was a very strange winter.  We had very little snow until February, and then we got the entire typical season’s worth all in 2 weeks.  I’m still skate-skiing (Nordic) and skied a 10K or so loop this morning in Mazama.  They will be grooming the ski trails through the end of the week/month.  Having the ski trails still open this late is very unusual.

    This makes it sound as though the PCT through Northern Washington will be opening late.

              Rob