[pct-l] Ursack in SoCal?

rbelshee rbelshee at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 24 16:16:45 CDT 2014

Bears will smell your food regardless of precautions.

In the few areas where bears are habituated to humans (e.g. Yosemite) use the provided steel bear food boxes or bear canisters. Everywhere else sleep with your food and bears will not pursue it.

In Washington the problem will be mice, whose sense of smell is 200 times better than humans (though still a tenth of a bears). Enough layers of freezer Ziploc bags will block the smell sufficiently. I had mice standing on my food bag looking around for food and give up and leave. I used three layers of freezer Ziploc bags and then two layers of trash compactor bags.

Rod "Steady" Belshee
hikepaddle.blogspot.com