[pct-l] Ursack in SoCal?

Drew Smith jdrewsmith at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 12:19:44 CDT 2014

I'm planning a section hike from Idyllwild to Walker Pass, and am debating whether to bring my Ursack.  What is the bear situation these days in the San Bernadinos and San Gabriels?

I last hiked these mountains in the 1960s as a Boy Scout, and we didn't hang food or have any bear issues.  But then we also brought hatchets and saws and kept a fire going all night, taking turns on watch.  And I'm pretty sure our Scoutmaster, a retired Marine DI, was heavily armed.  Seems odd now, but we thought it was normal. The only bears we ever encountered were at Tuolumne Meadows CG in our 1968 JMT hike.

Any thoughts about whether the Ursack would justify its 11 oz weight penalty would be most appreciated.

Drew Smith
—
http://endofabx.blogspot.com/