[pct-l] Horseshoe Meadow Trailhead Hitch to Lone Pine

chiefcowboy at verizon.net chiefcowboy at verizon.net
Fri Mar 21 18:48:41 CDT 2014

If doing the JMT SOBO you do NOT need a Whitney permit.  If you are entering
via the Portal I believe you DO need one.

Also, in attempting to obtain a JMT permit, each trailhead is allocated a
certain amount.  In 2005, Happy Isle was allotted ten, six of which were
reserved and the other four were kept for walk-ins.  I "camped" out on their
porch from 3 AM and observed no fewer than TEN hikers obtain permits.  Not
sure what happened, but all of us went away happy.