[pct-l] Tarp poles

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 01:34:06 CDT 2014

At the GGG (Gear Geeks Gathering) in January I was introduced to the
"cheapo" carbon fiber poles that Costco is selling for $29.  After a rave
review from a serious gear geek, someone even more geeky than me, I bought
a pair to use as a secondary set.  Turns out they're not so "cheapo" after
all.  Several months of training later and I can say that they are
excellent all around and seem to be lighter than my old UL Lekis.  So that
might be a cheap option for tent poles and ship them home when you get to
trees.

I wouldn't expect to see too many trees in much of SoCal.  In 2010 we got
snowed and rained on more in SoCal than any other part of the trail till we
reached northern WA.  So do be prepared for all possibilities while hiking
the "deserts."  The coldest night of the summer for me was the first night
at Lake Morena, 2 weeks before KO.  Damp and cold but so damned exciting to
be starting out!

Have a great hike!

Shroomer