[pct-l] Do we need a GPS unit and coats

Gary Minetti gary.minetti at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 12:48:14 CDT 2014

John and Tina,

Sounds like you have a great trip planned.

I agree with the previous comments about GPS. In terms of clothing and in my opinion, a short sleeve shirt, long underwear (tops and bottoms, ) a windshirt and a beanie will work, even in the High Sierra if you get very lucky with the weather.   However, if storms come through, for example between VVR and KM, all bets are off.  Your safety margin, should rain, mixed precipitation and wind come through while you are high and exposed is pretty thin with the gear you mentioned.  You may have to either hunker down in a reliable shelter and bag or have the strength and speed necessary to do the exposed miles and exit the trail.

Us retired folks need to stick together and in that light, I would suggest reconsidering your gear and safety margin.

Best wishes on your trip.

Gman
Class of 2012