[pct-l] Snow Depth Tool on PCTA

Nobohiker nobohiker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 01:16:28 CDT 2014

Hi there,

I am thinking about a section hike in SoCal later this month. Getting on
the PCT would take me to the top of Mt San Jacinto first and since the
elevation is 10,833' / 3,302m and they had a snow storm coming through
last week, I am obviously concerned about snow depth/ice. So I checked
every other day or so on the pcta.org website for snow depth. After the
storm, the tool made sense as it was showing snow above 7000isch ft.
Then, every other day or so, the snow line was moving up...then
recently, no snow was reported at all, which does not make sense.
So I pinged the local hiker community and sure enough there still is
plenty of snow up there, patches around 7500 increasing with elevation.

So heads up for all of you out there to be careful with that tool. This
probably can be said about all tools and forecasts...

Happy Trails,

Section Hiker Rick

My planned route:
https://goo.gl/maps/GQbam