[pct-l] Wind Shell + Rain Shell

David Harris David_Harris at hmc.edu
Mon Mar 10 12:34:50 CDT 2014

Chris,

I wore an REI synthetic long-sleeve shirt and carried a ~5oz Montbell
synthetic vest and a ~4 oz Zpacks waterproof breathable cuben fiber
rain jacket.  I used them all regularly between the Mexican border and
Tahoe and wouldn't have wanted to carry less.

The REI shirt (and their Sahara pants) are favorite items of clothing
now.  I've worn the shirt for ~4000 miles and it's still in
close-to-new condition except that I've had to replace some buttons.
It has kept me comfortable in strong winds in all seasons.  With those
items and a wide-brimmed hat, I get many weeks out of a 1 oz SPF 50
tube of sunscreen, used just on my nose and the backs of my hands.

The vest and jacket make up my warmth and rain system.  Unless I have
a perfectly clear weather forecast through my next stop, I wouldn't
bounce my rain jacket.  Both items are light, but together, they are
enough to keep me warm enough while I cook dinner and for the first
hour of hiking on a cold morning before dawn.

David