[pct-l] a personal reason for not carrying what everyone else is using -- maps

Laura Reed 1pint2007 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 19:57:37 CDT 2014

I did 2,300 miles of the PCT last year and this is my
experience/observations related to maps:

I loved the Postholer maps. I tore the books up into reasonable chunks and
carried those to supplement Halfmile's iPhone app and Yogi's notes. Yes, I
like to know where I'm at.

Of the folks carrying paper maps (not everyone does, it's a personal
choice), Halfmile's maps were the most common. I remember coming upon a
newly-posted fire reroute in Oregon. The Forest Service recommended hikers
take a different route but most PCT maps only show the PCT and a bit of the
trail near it. As hikers began to pile up at the intersection where we
needed to decide whether to ignore the sign and stay on the PCT or whether
to get off trail and try to correctly navigate on logging roads or
intersecting trails, those of us with maps pulled out our paper.
Thankfully, we had 3 different sources to compare so that we had a bigger
picture of the area around us and could make the best decision possible. If
we'd all stuck to the same sources, we wouldn't have had as much info
available.

Enjoy the trip planning and whatever you take will work for you or you'll
trade out as you go. No biggie.

1Pint
Super-duper long distance section hiker