[pct-l] Trail Update: Spanish Peak to Belden.

-Mountain Goat- themtgoat at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 18:15:03 CDT 2014

Saturday I hiked round trip from Belden to Spanish peak and back.

I saw dainty Fingers, who appears to be one of the first through hikers this year.
He said he started April 6th? and this is only about 2 months in, and he is already passing Belden?
He must be hiking about 180 miles a week! Wow, he can move.

Back to the trail update.
Almost all snow is melted except a few patches you can see off in the distance from the trail (Mostly near Mt Pleasant). The mosquitoes presented a Moderately miserable experience in the evening, and I found out they had no problem keeping up with my slightly faster the 3mph pace. (These are really small kind).

There seemed to be a fairly good size bug population, probably since the snow just finished melting, and the streams, and still flowing, if not on the small side. Hopefully in the next several weeks, the wave of hikers can come through and enjoy the water while it lasts.

There are over a dozen downed trees in this 15 mile section, but fairly spread out.
Anyone doing trail maintenance, please contact me, and I can give aprox locations, and some photo's
of the woody based obstacles.  However, nothing that a hiker can't walk around, Jump over, or duck under.

-Mountain Goat-
PCT 2005