[pct-l] Terrific hikers!

Jackie McDonnell yogihikes at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 23:16:13 CDT 2014

We just spent two weeks at Walker Pass providing food, beverages, and shade
to approximately 350 hikers.  Without question, the Class of 2014 is
composed of polite, helpful, friendly, excited hikers.  Each night I
thought, "this was the best group of hikers!"  We really enjoyed meeting
everyone and hearing their stories from the first 650 miles of the PCT.

And yes, included in those 350 hikers were the hikers who have been the
topic of much discussion on this list and Facebook -- the supposed "bad"
hikers.  Well, I can tell you from experience that they are not bad at all.
 They were a joy to meet.  They were always the first to offer to help with
dishes, trash, whatever else needed to be done.  They were always in a good
mood, and had many interesting trail stories to share.  They are clearly
enjoying their time on the PCT.

We only had one problem hiker, and this person is not from the demographic
you might expect of a problem hiker.  This hiker is of retirement age, and
appears to be someone who would not cause problems at all.  Unfortunately,
he spent the entire time talking about the Appalachian Trail and
complaining about EVERYTHING.  The final straw was when he complained that
our cold coffee cups sucked the warmth out of the coffee we prepared for
him.

But that was only one person.  Everyone else was terrific!
PCT Class of 2014, you are GREAT!

Yogi
www.yogisbooks.com