[pct-l] SOCAL Section C Questions

Frederick Baier frederickbaier at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 24 14:07:23 CDT 2014

Aloha Good People,

First, I'm doing my best to not ask questions I can get answered elsewhere or through my own research.  But there's that certain 'je ne sais quoi' that comes from checking with the locals and those with extensive experience. That said, these may still be dumb questions...so...here goes.  Does anyone out there have any experience with Section C (1-10 to 1-15) in late August/early September...specifically, any remaining water sources--those typically running year around? I'm still planning my next leg of my NOBO multi-year 'thru hike' for the aforementioned timeframe. For the moment the timing is work-driven; it's when I can get time off. In any case, I figure I can get from Ziggy & Bears to Mile 250 or so just carrying a boat-ton of water (9 x liters-ish for safety sake) and perhaps a quick pit-stop/top off at Whitewater on the way. I've considered night hiking those first 40 miles to help mitigate water consumption as well. Then I'll need to cache my own water at ~ Mile 250.  I'm very mindful of average day time temps & existing drought conditions, etc. Does that plan seem reasonable? After that I'm planning to do a zero day in Big Bear (yes, I indulge myself), load up on water again and get to Splinters where I hope to put another cache--which should get me to Silverlake. Should be Ok after that to get to 1-15. Questions: Does Deep Creek run year around? (mindful of the reported water quality issues). Are there any other lesser known and yet reliable water sources not listed on the water report hidden anywhere along Section C...e.g, friendly ranch houses with wells? (again, that may be a dumb question, but eh...I generally function as the lowest common denominator in any crowd). I try to be self sufficient and intend to do just that, but for situational awareness, are there any trail angels in the Big Bear area potentially tending to SOBOs? Lastly, if I totally scratched the late Aug/early September plan and resched'd for early November, is that practical/feasible? Understanding no one here can predict the weather, is the snow situation "normally" impassable on the upper elevations of this section by that time? Thanks!

Aloha, Fritz