[pct-l] SoBoing in SoCal questions: water caches, hammocking vs. shelter/cowboy camping, rain?

K ilikepeace at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 11:33:21 CDT 2014

Hi All,
  I'm finally going to finish a southbound thru-hike I started a few years
back.  I have a couple questions about Southern California that maybe
someone can help me with.

In general, are most of the water caches still in place for September?  Is
there considerably less natural water in southern california in september?
Seems like the water reports are mostly for the benefit of springtime NoBo
hikers and not updated throughout the summer...

Will it ever rain/snow in Southern California in September?  Is it a waste
to bring rain gear in Southern California?

I've gone with a hammock the whole trail north of VVR, but I assume that
there will be less or no hammockable trees in Southern California.  I
thought I might just cowboy camp when there are no good trees...but I'm a
bit worried about rattlesnakes.  Is it smart to have an enclosed shelter in
the desert to avoid rattlesnake and the small chance of precipitation?  Am
I being irrationally fearful to think that a rattlesnake would bite me if
I'm sleeping in the dirt?

Many Thanks!

Happy Trails,
Fire Belly