[pct-l] [John Muir Trail] PCT hikers

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Thu Jul 17 12:11:46 CDT 2014

Herb,

Great and classic observations of two different sets of wilderness wanderers, the Hikers and the Campers!

“Hikers” like to:
    - walk! (sometimes even into the dark),
    - get up early and make camp late to walk as far as they can in a day for various reasons,
    - challenge themselves to see how far they can go,
    - travel light and try to be as efficient as they can with what they carry, how they carry it, and what they do with it, and
    - to go places and see stuff and get the job done in the brief time they have on-trail.

“Campers” like to:
    - well, camp! (sometimes even staying there from well before sunset to long after sunrise),
    - carry luxuries like more food and clothing on heavier packs with books hidden inside,
    - loiter, both here and there, soaking up the sounds, sights, smells, and other memories to take home and savor forever,
    - go slow, stop often (even taking the pack off!), and look forward to the nice campsite just ahead,
    - make campfires just to stare into them and let the mind wander (they got into camp early enough to do this and still get enough sleep), and
    - be prepared for simple climbing, exploring, photography, swimming, fishing, extended meals, bad weather, sound sleeping, and a good book by headlamp.

HYOH comes to mind. Each wonders about the other. Some know both sides. Some think it’s funny!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org
ned at mountaineducation.org