[pct-l] 1) public transportation from Portland Airport to PCT / Stevenson / Cascade Locks 2) snow conditions on PCT WA

be hope bh.csuchico at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 08:28:18 CDT 2014

​
Luce, thanks for the offer:  rats!  the 22nd is a Tuesday.

I'm on the PortlandHikers list and posted a snow query re PCT southern WA
on one of their forums.  On July 15, Aimless reports the following:
"This time of year, the snow situation can change drastically in three or
four days, depending on the weather. A few really hot days can blast snow
off the trail by up to a foot a day. Any info about recent WA PCT snow
conditions you can glean now will be well out of date by the time you get
to Goat Rocks.

I will be leaving from Road 60 below Indian Heaven on the same day as you
leave the Bridge of the Gods, July 22, but I am only hiking to Chinook
Pass. Based on what I've read here, I am expecting many places to be thick
with mosquitos, a few challenges with navigation where snow covers the
trail for a distance, but nothing drastic, and its anyone's guess how hot
it will be from ~July 25 until I arrive at Chinook Pass.

The best you or I can do is go and deal with conditions as we find them.
Good luck and happy hiking!

Edit: I will be hiking up the Killen Creek trail on Mt Adams on Friday,
7/18, to check out the snow conditions at the PCT junction at ~6200 ft.
I'll report back what I find."
(Post by Aimless on the PortlandHikers list.)

Luce, thanks again !
be hope (aka Barney)