[pct-l] External Frame Packs

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 15 11:42:18 CDT 2014

Hey Jeff,
I see you are in the Arcata area.  Used to hang out up that way a lot.  Got some good friends up in Orick.  Perhaps you know of Marna Powell who runs Kayak Zac's ? I believe they just re-opened the visitor center at Stone Lagoon last year.

I can relate with the sentimental part, but also accumulating gear.  Originally I started out with a Super Tioga because I thought I needed to carry a lot of water in the Utah canyon country.  That was about the same time you headed south from Lassen.  That pack about killed me in the Sierra shortly after.  Too big, too much stuff.  Shortly after I started using smallish weekender approach type packs that forced me to re-think my kit.  Haven't carried a tent in the backcountry since except when I had a lady friend with me a couple times.  However, my two tents have been great to have doing some motorcycle touring lately along with my Whisperlite stove which can burn unleaded and a couple other items that haven't gone hiking in at least ten years.

On the other hand, when I started shooting large and medium format film photography in the backcountry, I quickly discovered that carrying an extra 8 lbs plus of camera gear didn't work well with the lighter internal frame packs I had been climbing and hiking with.  They always seemed overloaded, and camera gear isn't very tasty and hard on the teeth.  The internals also required a lot of unpacking and re-packing every time I wanted to make an exposure.  I found a killer sale on Kelty's smaller Tioga 5000 framer and paired with a smaller hip belt it seemed to work for me.  I think I got that pack stripped down just under five pounds, and could do more.  Was pretty happy with the comfort, weight compromise, and function.  Since then I have tried to enjoy lighter packing with a G4 I got from Gossamer Gear, but have never liked it other than the big outside mesh pockets.  I think it's the most uncomfortable pack I have ever used.  I can get it loaded really nice so it's super comfortable but that only lasts about fifteen minutes on the trail, especially if it's hot out, and I've tried a lot of different packing methods with it.

The other thing I've always liked about my framer, and also my tried and true Mountainlite 5000 is that they let my back breathe much better than having an overloaded rucksack pressed up close, especially with the foam sleep pad used in the G4.  I guess for me the difference between 3 lbs and comfort isn't worth the trade off.  I just cut the weight down in other areas as best I can.

Guess I don't fall in the UL category, but I'll tend to agree with anyone who suggests the lighter the load, the more enjoyable the walk.