[pct-l] Bounce Box

Jonathan Bain jsb at intangibleStrategies.com
Sat Jul 12 13:24:49 CDT 2014

Hi There-

I’m going to be doing a section hike of the PCT this summer (Elk Lake, OR to Canada).  I was hoping to get some advice on bounce boxes.  Specifically:

	1.	What type of box/container do folks recommend?  I’ve heard of people using Home Depot buckets, which seem like they’d be very sturdy.  But do the local PO’s hassle you if you try to forward along a bucket?  Have folks had any problems with the buckets getting looted along the way?  Any other containers that have worked for folks?

	2.	Any USPS regs that I need to be aware of?  For instance, is it legal to mail a bucket?  Is there a maximum size/weight for a bounce-box?  Any other gotchas that I might not encounter until I’m actually out on the trail (and it’s too late to change my bounce box)?  I’m aware of the USPS regs regarding stove fuel, so I won’t be shipping either alcohol or butane in my box.

	3.	Any general advice on how best to manage a bounce box?  I’m not so interested in advice of the form: “I didn’t use a bounce box, and you shouldn’t either”.  I’ve got some resupply issues that will be hard to address (at least in OR and WA) without a bounce box.  What I would very much appreciate is advice of the form:  “I used a bounce box, and here’s some tricks that I learned along the way that I wish I’d known when I started”.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Jon