[pct-l] Donna Saufley/Hiker Heaven Stance on Trail Angel Fundraising

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Jul 9 15:19:36 CDT 2014

I post quite infrequently on this list, but am doing so preemptively today.  A fellow named Eric B. Fuller has proposed creating a trail angel fundraising non-profit all over Facebook, and who knows where else.  Directly below is my response to Eric’s message.  Eric’s message is directly below mine.  He has posted this intent in emails and on Facebook.  I have posted my response to him everywhere I’ve found his posts.  I have also told Eric publicly that I will bring legal action to stop any attempt by him to leverage me or Hiker Heaven in his fund raising efforts.  So this is my way of getting word out there that Donna Lynn “L-Rod” Saufley, Floyd Jefferson Saufley, and Hiker Heaven do not endorse or support this fund raising attempt in any way.  I would greatly appreciate any information that would indicate that Mr. Fuller ever uses us (our names, images, or references) in any way in his campaign to legitimize his efforts.  Thank you.

Donna “L-Rod” Saufley

Eric:

Here’s my $.02:

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but frankly I don’t know who you are.  You came out of nowhere with a failed record attempt, and have spent more time promoting yourself and trying to develop a non-profit than you have on the trail or in the trail angel community. In fact, you’ve promoted yourself more on your failed attempt than actual successful record holders have about themselves.  This puts red flags on the field for me.  On your Facebook page you state “  Long Distance Speed Hiker <https://www.facebook.com/pages/Long-Distance-Speed-Hiker/274285892722994>  at Pacific Crest Trail <https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pacific-Crest-Trail/105616572804764>  and Chairman  <https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chairman-CEO/101256216649658> & CEO at Eric B. Fuller, Inc. <https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eric-B-Fuller-Inc/467010510064112> ”  None of this is credible in my opinion.  For me it takes time to build trust, and a reputation.  I cannot speak for others, but you have not earned this with me personally.

As far as I know, no one in the trail angel community is asking you to assist or promote them.  You should ask trail angels whether they want to be featured on your site or promoted by you. Other sites have provided this courtesy.  You did not ask me.  You seem to be seeking to legitimize your own non-profit attempts by leveraging the kindness of trail angels without their permission.  I do not give you permission to do that with me or Hiker Heaven.  You do not have the right to use what I do to build your own non-profit.  If others are okay with this, that is their business, but please leave me out of it until such time, if or when, I choose to be a part of it.

There are a host of reasons (pardon the pun) to NOT promote the needs of trail angels in broader audiences.  What we do can be very dicey when it comes to municipal and county authorities.  If we receive funds in the public eye, we may then be forced to account for the funding and pay taxes ourselves on it.  You can unleash a cascade of bureaucratic frustrations, and even get trail angels shut down (as has happened to Tom Figueroa in Kennedy Meadows).  Sorry, but no thanks.

I really think you should channel your energy into supporting the PCTA.  They can really use people who want to do fund raising to support the trail and are structured to handle the accounting and accountability that comes along with receiving corporate donations.

Sorry to be a wet blanket on all your humble enthusiasm.

Donna Saufley