[pct-l] Trees down in section L

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 7 15:46:18 CDT 2014

Over the July 4 weekend I dayhiked section L.
The trail was in fine shape from Castle Pass to Jackson Meadows, but then things got worse, from the point of view of equestrians.     Strange because there is a major
horse camp near Jackson Meadows, complete with PCT Trailhead parking.

There is a very large (60") tree across the trail in the mini-canyon about a mile
north of FR 7, which is absolutely blocking to stock.    It looks like it's been
there a while, making me wonder if it was left there intentionally.     How did
Mendorider get through?

Further north, there is quite a blowdown just before the descent into Milton Creek
canyon.    There are way too many trees to clear, but there is a good bypass volunteer
trail that just needs a bit of regularization.

Then in the vicinity of the two southernmost bridges over Milton Creek, there are

trees that I would consider blocking to most if not all stock (I'm a hiker so my
judgment on such matters is questionable).    One is an old decaying 36" log that probably
could be cleared with a pick rather than a saw.      Another is more recent and is
a couple of smaller logs that might be blocking.