[pct-l] "Business"...."THE NATURE OF THE BEAST"

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun Jul 6 05:14:33 CDT 2014

Ned,
Yogi does not mean to be nasty & mean, she can't help it,....it's the
"NATURE OF THE BEAST".

There is truth to the saying, "There is no furry like a woman scorned".

However, unless you scorned Yogi off list, I don't recall you ever
saying anything on list that would give Yogi reason to feel scorned.

Could be that, since Yogi does nothing for free, she considers your
"VOLUNTARY DONATIONS"...for your services an insult or threat to her
lucrative,..."CASH IN ADVANCE" only,...Trail Guide Business.

Operating on a..."VOLUNTARY DONATIONS"...basis like Mountain Education
Would most likely reduce the profit, or bottom line, of her lucrative
Trail Guide Business, which might explain her mean and nasty attitude
towards you.

Protecting the bottom line is foremost important to Yogi since she is,
by her own admission, running a "FOR PROFIT" business.

Like I said Ned,...Yogi does not mean to be nasty & mean,...it's just
"THE NATURE OF THE BEAST".

I am afraid that Yogi and Matt, as Andrea has already pointed out,
have opened a "PANDORA'S BOX" that may have some of our Trail Angels
reconsider or question their trail angel services, which, of course,
would have a negative impact on the trail community.

JMT Reinhold
--------------------------
Yogi wrote:

Ned -

REGARDING PAYMENT:

Today you  stated over and over that you provide your services for free:

"We do not require payment for the things we teach. If our students want to
pay anything, or donate to the cause, that is up to them and not expected
or required."       "This is a full-time venture that is not
income-producing, thus we are constantly struggling to survive to give away
what we do.       "We haven't done this for money."       "We are not a
business that trades its service to customers for any tangible exchange. We
are not a Guide Service that receives money for guiding people places."
   "We are just people who want to help other people for free and at our
expense."      "We don't require payment for what we freely give."

Hmmmmmm.  You stated on June 30 in your original post:  "We are now a
public benefit, non-profit, educational institution/business and can only
continue to help and train hikers with your financial help."

Which is it?  You provide your services for free?  Or do you require
financial help?  You can't have it both ways.  The mere mention of needing
financial help DIRECTLY IMPLIES that your students SHOULD pay!  You know
that, I know that, everyone reading your post knows that.

REGARDING GUIDING PEOPLE:

Today you stated:  "We are as if, according to them, a friend or
acquaintance going with you out on the trail to show
you a few trail skills that might make your hike easier and safer."

Seriously?  You believe that?  YOU HAVE A FREAKIN' APPLICATION ON YOUR
WEBSITE!!!!  That is not "friends" or "acquaintances" going on the trail.
  The people filling out the application are looking to you for guidance.
  You are the teacher, they are the student.  Yet you are doing everything
possible to get around any permits/regulations.  Just admit it.

REGARDING DANGER:

Today you stated:  If conditions present exceed our training and the safety
of our group, we do not continue."

That is a flat-out lie.  You recently almost killed someone up in
Washington.  One member of the group found the conditions too dangerous to
continue so THAT PERSON turned around.  Did any teachers accompany that
student on the return trip? I doubt it.  You continued with your students
(er......'scuse me.........I guess they are your "friends" or
"acquaintances").  You took those students on a slope which had conditions
so bad that one student slid down the mountain.  Fortunately, a tree
stopped his slide.  Unfortunately, he slammed into the tree so hard that he
broke several ribs, had to be rescued by a helicopter, and now his chance
for a sobo thru-hike is gone.  Hmmmmmm.  You keep neglecting to tell the
list about that.

Yogi
www.yogisbooks.com