[pct-l] Oregon - Crater Lake, Olallie Lake, Timberline Lodge

Dennis Keis keis1 at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 2 16:56:05 CDT 2014

I dropped my partner and her friend at Green Springs Summit (Hwy 66)
near Ashland on Monday. They are hiking all of Oregon. Temperature
was 90 degrees. On my way home I proceeded to drop their food
resupply boxes at Crater Lake's Mazama Village, Shady Cove Resort on
Odell Lake, Olallie Lake Resort, and Timberline Lodge.

Between Crater Lake Lodge and the last viewpoint of the lake from the
West Rim Road the trail has a lot of deep, 4+ feet deep snow patches
where it is close to the West Rim Road, with vertical dropoffs at the
end of each patch, so perhaps walking the road might be necessary.

There was no water cache at the usual spot just north of Crater Lake
where the trail crosses Hwy 138. Maybe the angels are waiting for the
herd to arrive.

The fellow at the Olallie Lake store said EVERY SOBO hiker has
returned to the lake, NOT ONE has yet made it past about 10 - 12
miles south of Olallie, due to deep snow. All returned to Olallie. He
said even those with good navigational skills and GPS could not keep
on the trail. It seems that when the front of the herd gets there
they might encounter snow. However at Olallie on Tuesday the
temperature at 7:00 am was 58 degrees, so melting must be happening.
There was no snow at the lake itself, but lots of bugs.

Olallie Lake Resort no longer accepts mailed boxes, but will accept
those driven in. Quite a drive, an extremely rugged last 8 miles of
dirt and rock track, though the resort claims the USFS is about to
send in a grader since the resort now manages all the USFS
campgrounds in the area.

Very little snow around Timberline Lodge, the temperature there at
2:00 pm was 75 degrees.