[pct-l] mechanical clearing of trail

Hank Magnuski hankm at mtinet.com
Fri Jan 31 10:26:39 CST 2014

Yes, cuts with a chain saw are faster than a hand saw and there is not much
difference in the results.

But the comparison shouldn't stop there. Most people would be surprised at how
effective a cross-cut crew can be vs. chain saw operators.

The chain sawyers seem to be constantly fiddling with their equipment, replacing
the chains, oiling them, sharpening them, gassing the saw. And the saws are so
much heavier to carry you usually need a pack animal to carry the saw and fuel
around.

A cross-cut crew can be in and out of an area while the chain saws are still
being unloaded from the mules.

That plus the smoke and noise and gas residue left by chain saws makes the
comparison a little more balanced.

Hank

p.s. Yes, I work with the Carsonora Crew maintaining the Dorothy Pass to Carson
Pass section of the PCT.