[pct-l] Why California's Trails Are Disappearing From Our Maps

Daniel Zellman danielzellman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 20:12:27 CST 2014

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 8:48 PM, Rob Langsdorf <sdscpcts at yahoo.com> wrote:

>trails in the Wilderness can't be maintained due to the fact
>that you can't use machinery in Forest Service Wilderness areas.

Many -- perhaps most -- of these trails were originally created long before
the use of powered machinery. Truth be told, people have been creating
trails for millennia, and have only had powered tools for the past 100
years or so. I agree with Diane's earlier comment -- so many people need
work, so much work needing to be done, seems a shame we can't follow
Roosevelt's lead and create a WPA for the 21st century.