[pct-l] Permit Questions

Loren Mauch lorenmauch at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 12:57:32 CST 2014

I am a first time NOBO thru hiker with a fairly flexible schedule for a
start date. I'm waiting to see what the weather holds to determine the best
date to start. I was planning on May 1 back in September of last year when
I started planning, but with the lack of rain, I'm thinking I could/should
start much earlier. Can someone tell me how long it takes to receive a
permit from the PCTA and if a permit is actually required to start at the
border? If not, where is the first area/section of the trail where I will
be required to have a permit? Thanks for your help!

Loren