[pct-l] Why California's Trails Are Disappearing From Our Maps

Nick Thelen nthelen03 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 26 22:00:14 CST 2014

Terry Wrote:
You bring up a good question Eric but, I just don't recall any of last years PCT hikers complaining about
route finding on that section of the trail. Also, when you consider the amount of foot traffic that section
gets every summer and looking at the landscape surrounding the trail in the section, I have a difficult time
buying into the author basically saying the PCT was disappearing before our own eyes.  I do agree with, and
saw first hand that the trail in Sequoia NF isn't up to the standards of the NP's next door but, to say its
in horrific shape isn't what I experienced, nor understand from the hikers from earlier in the season.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I believe you have missed the point.

The PCT was brought up simply because of its stature as a world class trail...in need of help
on a specific segment. Don't let that distract you from the alarming reality of decommissioned trails in Wilderness

The crux of the problem is the "other" Wilderness trails simply disappearing.  The question is easy, the answer
is not.

If the Wilderness trails continue to disappear due to lack of funding/volunteer/etc what happens?

Do trails like the PCT continue to get more popular for the simple fact they are accessible, in turn becoming a type
of "attraction" like Half Dome....lottery for permits, minimal permits issued, scalpers making $$...all very Disneyan'ish.

I am seeing a lot of responses focused on a tree...and not the forest.  A solution...a series of solutions are required
to keep the wild "wild"...or you'll be rubbing packs, stating "on your left" more & more, standing in lines, praying for pass....

To add, shrinking access to Wilderness keeps the youth out - period.  with youth disengaged how long before Wilderness
is not really all that important politically?

my .02
- Nick