[pct-l] Stove recommendations - Cooking on Canters

Wolfgang Greystoke wolfgangg at email.com
Sun Jan 26 22:13:34 CST 2014

HI ALL!

With all the talk on stove, fire restrictions, and jet boils I though I would ask the readers for recommendations.

I currently use a small Alcohol Stove with a cone screen/stand, it works great for how I cook and can simmer fairly well.

The Jet Boil is NOT an option for me, I actually cook on the trail and need to be able to simmer and fry. Although I am not doing the PCT this year, hopefully 2015, I am doing a long distance trail this summer, the PNT, and a, definitely looking at canister stove options.

REQUIREMENTS:

Ability to use different size canisters (small, medium, and large)
Canisters must be removable (screw top?)
Needs good burn control, from simmer to boil and everything in between.
Stable base
Ability to add a wind screen (homemade or originally with the stove)

WOOD ALSO BE NICE:

Remote canister
inverted canister capability
1 to 1.5 L pot w/ fry-pan lid (if it comes with the pan)

I have a very nice white gas stove that does all this, but it quite heave and fuel sourcing can be an issue. Although the stove can run on several alternative fuels, I don't want to cook on them.

So I am looking for a light weight, I doubt as slight as my Alcohol Stove set at 13oz complete less fuel, but it would be nice to have the kit come in a close to a lb not counting fuel.

Wolfgang Greystoke

Wolfman color='black' size='2' face='arial'>