[pct-l] Nite Hiking and Flashlights

Dan Welch welchenergy at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 07:07:09 CST 2014

I use a Petzel Tikka as well.  I have found it works quite well for night
hiking even as my eyes have become less acute with age.

One thing I would recommend if you plan a lot of night hiking - Lithium
batteries.  They last about 20% longer in low discharge situations like
headlamps. (2-3X as long in high discharge applications like camera flashes
and steripens).  Their voltage output (i.e. headlamp brightness) degrades
very little over time until they reach their end of life when it drops
quickly.  Voltage from alkaline batteries drops continuously as they
discharge so that at 50% life, they may only put out 75% light output.
You'll notice the difference.  (The trade off - with lithium batteries you
don't notice them going dim until they pretty much die.)  Another advantage
- alkaline battery output drops with temperature; lithium is largely
unaffected by temp until you get down in the 20's and even then they are
still much better than alkaline.  Lastly - They are lighter!  11.5 g for AAA
Alkaline and 7.6 g for AAA Lithium.

Happy Night Hiking!
Timberline