[pct-l] Why California’s Trails Are Disappearing From Our Maps

Dan Engleman danengleman at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 26 01:11:35 CST 2014

I hiked the entire PCT in 2011 and I was amazed at how well maintained the trail was. Some parts of the trail were better than others, but hiking the whole trail gave me an overwhelming sense of gratitude for those who donate their time, skills, and sweat to build and maintain the PCT.

I hiked the Mission Creek area, in the off season, prior to my thru hike and it was a bit challenging with all the brush and stream crossings, but when I did my actual hike it was a piece of cake thanks to the efforts of the volunteers in this area.  I was also blown away by the extraordinary trail maintenance in the Tehachapi area and most especially by the work that had been done in the Glacier Wilderness area where hundreds of blow downs had been "magically" sawed in huge chunks and had been rolled out of my weary way ....

I ran into trail crews in California, Oregon, and Washington and made it clear that they were the heroes of the PCT, not those trying to hike from end to end.
I would be very surprised to see the PCT become a trail that "no one knows was there" ... as suggested in the article above ....

711