[pct-l] stove question..

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Sat Jan 25 06:47:35 CST 2014

Hiya Jake,
	The Caffin Stove is highly recommended. It is from Australia so the ordering window is shutting down in a few weeks. An inverted canister that will use the caldera cone as a windscreen/pot. I think I explained in another post that this will only result in about 9-12gm/liter efficiency, depending on the water temp. For comparison, the JetBoil will only get 12-16gm/liter under the same conditions.
	Why do I like it?
		Lightest remote canister stove available at 88-91gm or roughly 3-3.25oz.
		Good fuel efficiency, out of the box. (All canisters have pretty good efficiency.)
		Good volume efficiency, except for the canisters (they waste a few ci.)
		Works at all temps down to about -25F, inverted.
		Alum foil wind screen or Cone capable.
http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=14288 and BPL has write-ups.
	The second stove I recommend is the SVEA. While heavy, it is the most durable stove I know of. It is also very space efficient. It saves a few cubic inches over any others. In a pinch, it *will* run on auto fuel but it will run at reduced capacity and plug up with varnish requiring you to work the needle 4-5 times. Acetone also works(and cleans out the varnish,) but this is can over heat, easily.
	Why do I like it?
		Weight is only medium at 17-20oz.
		Low output/high efficiency, 9-12gm/L depending on temp, also.
		Low volume.
		Works at temps down to -25 or more.
		Rugged, nearly indestructible WG stove with minimal moving parts.
		With a 12oz soda bottle of WG, this gets me two weeks out.
		Very high reliability, it has never failed me in 40 years.
	I use this regularly as part of my UL/Murmur kit for two week trips.
	My thoughts only . . .
		jdm