[pct-l] Winter backpacking, pack carry issues..

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Wed Jan 22 17:11:17 CST 2014

Go at it from the other angle.

Buy a poncho that covers your backpack. They are extra long on the back to
cover the backpack. Your backpack fits (and buckles) as normal. We like to
gather the long corners and tie them back under the front of the poncho to
help avoid snagging the poncho on brush.

This type of poncho has the added advantage of giving your backpack
protection from the rain. Rarely we get windblown rain thru the snapped
sides.

Another added advantage that we use - in a strong rain storm we can clip the
corners of the poncho to the corners of our tent and lay it out flat over
the top of our tent.  This adds another layer of protection to the tent.

Ken