[pct-l] Going stoveless and resupply as you go

Meike dideldadum at web.de
Tue Jan 21 11:11:48 CST 2014

I never hiked stoveless, so this is a pretty new challenge for me. But
reading about low-snow-years and fire danger and so on makes it a really
reasonable and intriguing challenge for me. So I am really thankful for
all the suggestions for no cook food on this list.

The biggest obstacle for me might be coffee... nothing better than
having a hot pot of black motivation and comfort watching sunrise after
packing up your tent. But thats more a psychological obstacle, and those
are made to overcome, aren't they?

But: I will have to resupply as I go as I don't have any support persons
in the US. The question that arises to me: what kind of no cook food can
I expect to find along the trail, especially in the smaller stores /
convenient stores? How common are bagels, hard salami, cashews,
sprouting seeds and the like close to the trail? Having to rely on snack
bars, tacos and other "pure junk" seems really daunting to me. Snack
bars and the like are ok for snacks, but what kind of
salty-readily-available-low-bulk-and-weight-but-tasty-and-satisfying-and-maybe-even-healthy
food would be your top tip?

Is going stoveless and resupplying as you go doable if you are even a
little picky about your food?

Meike