[pct-l] Found some yummy new things at the Asian market

Betty Wheeler bettywheeler at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 07:55:24 CST 2014

Looking at the ingredients Yoshihiro posted, I'm guessing that komatsuna is
the green vegetable Diane may be especially wanting.

Fresh komatsuna is pretty easy to find locally -- very nutritious &
delicious -- and should be easy to include in a dish that could be
dehydrated.  I haven't seen komatsuna in dried form at Ranch 99, but I'm
going to check my local (San Diego) Japanese store that features lots of
organic food (Nijiya) and the Korean market (Zion) as well.

Dried gobo (burdock root) and carrots should be easy to find, which would
make it possible to create a version of kinpira gobo on trail, with some
sesame oil, soy sauce or tamari,etc. I especially like the dehydrated
shoestring carrots from Honeyville, because they have a nice chewy
consistency when rehydrated.

Other things from Ranch 99 that are in my hiking larder:
--GreenMax powdered cereals -- lots of varieties, probably an acquired
taste, but I get tired of oatmeal very quickly, so these are a good
alternative. I especially like:

Yu Shen Pestle Cereal - lots of interesting ingredients I had to Google...

Yam and Black Sesame Cereal

--Soy jerky -- lots of different flavors in big packages, cheaper than
Primal Strips or other American brands. (And yes, I know "meatless jerky"
is an oxymoron, but it's still a dense, chewy and savory food...)
--As Shroomer mentioned, powdered coconut milk/cream.
--Dried green noodles - don't remember the brand, but these are like ramen
but with a green vegetable added.

Betty