[pct-l] Found some yummy new things at the Asian market

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 22:33:08 CST 2014

Hey Diane,

There are many dried fishes to be found at your local Ranch 99 Market, a
Chinese supermarket chain found from the Bay Area to Seattle.  I'm sure
there must be outlets in Santa Barbara or LA for sure.  They sell dried
cuttlefish, squid, shrimp and octopus as well as many little fishy goodies.
 They've always been a part of my backpacking larder as they are such a
nice change from beef jerky or salami as the only dried meat snacks.  If
it's something I don't recognize, I usually buy a pack and see if it's
something I like and usually it is.

I've found the best variety of dried veggies in my local Korean market.
 Dried radish, radish leaves, squash, eggplant, and many others.  And of
course there's wakame, a very delicate dried seaweed that mixes in with
just about anything without making it seaweedy tasting.  But Ranch 99 is a
great place to shop.  Great prices on powdered coconut milk and cream too.

Shroomer