[pct-l] Plea for Fire Safety 2014

Judson Brown judsonwb at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 15:20:18 CST 2014

1. Regarding food and camping, I have done both systems: dinner then more
miles and dinner in camp. I've done the JMT twice following the latter
method and have yet to have a problem with bears. Others' experiences may
vary. For the miles you need to make on the PCT, however, the former
strategy ifs the one I prefer, more for reasons of miles than for avoiding
wildlife.

2. Regarding fires in camp, I hiked 530 miles last year and saw numerous
instances of thru hikers having fires, some of them nightly, regardless of
weather conditions. And any efforts I made with these individuals to
advocate for no fires were met with indifference at best. I'd like to see a
lot more up front teaching of the no fire ethic, and even a prohibition of
fires being part of the permit. Not sure what the answer is. As the number
of hikers increases, so does the number of inconsiderate young men- sorry,
but that is the demographic- who do whatever the hell they want.