[pct-l] Plea for Fire Safety 2014

gary_schenk at verizon.net gary_schenk at verizon.net
Fri Jan 17 09:10:58 CST 2014

 On 01/17/14, chiefcowboy at verizon.net wrote:

My personal pledge is that I will not have ANY campfires along the PCT this
year. I will also have at least a 3' clearing when I use my stove. Any
others want to join me in that commitment?
I am fortunate to live in SoCal and am able to dayhike and/or backpack the PCT year round. I get a lot of satisfaction destroying fire rings. For the most part these are in places where only a PCT hiker would camp.

Last summer at Snow Lakes in Oregon, we ran into Peanutbutter Platypus. She'd stopped to have dinner. She carefully found a good sandy spot, cleared it of any duff, and then built a moat around her alcohol stove. If everybody took that sort of care the trail would be much the better for it.

Gary