[pct-l] Cal/ ounce, nutritionu

Jennifer Zimmerman jenniferlzim at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 09:07:06 CST 2014

It helped me to think of the hike as ~24 section hikes, one right after
another.  Craig's PCT planner - www.pctplanner.com , maybe you're already
familiar with it - helps with this a lot.  With this, the pct-l, and Yogi's
guides, picking resupply points was pretty easy.  Especially in the
beginning we tried not to carry more than 5 days food at one time.

Diane's advice is excellent, of course.  The only useful thing I can add is
that in population-dense SoCal you'll have access to a mid-size grocery
store or better in nearly every town (except Warner Springs?) until Kennedy
Meadows.  Even if you terribly underestimate the amount of food you eat,
you shouldn't have many problems buying extra.  By the time you get further
north to the tiny stores that can be really iffy on supply and selection
(KM south, and most of Sierra City north to Canada) you'll be an expert on
what and how much you eat and it should be easier to send boxes ahead if
you need.

We made all our meals at home and had them mailed to us on the trail.  For
resupply stops where we knew we'd have a poor selection of groceries, we
included snacks/breakfast/drink mixes.  For resupply stops in towns with
even a small grocery store we just sent meals, then bought our other foods
in town.  We had 5-6 resupply points before KM south and I think the only
one we sent a "full" resupply to was Warner Springs.  This allowed us to
get a lot of variety into our snacks/bars.