[pct-l] Understanding halfmile's maps

Meike dideldadum at web.de
Tue Jan 14 04:30:27 CST 2014

I really like the halfmile maps. But I have some problems in
interpreting them. Might not be of real importance, but I always like to
understand what I see :)

Is there any... any... I don't even know what that's called in english.
Legend maybe? Explanation what the symbols, colors, hatchures, lines are
supposed to tell me. Is there anything like that?

I am particulary interested in the red lines that most of the time run
roughly parallel to the WGS84 grid, but not quite, and sometimes not at
all, and sometimes at differing distances... what are those? There are
thicker red lines, too - sometimes combined with a dotted black line.
Look like some kind of border. Border to state parks, reservations and
so on? And what are those usually rectangular areas with darker colors?

Thanks for any clarification,
Meike