[pct-l] Backing up pictures

Trevor McKee trevormckee85 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 13 09:44:22 CST 2014

I feel like the problem with relying on backing up your photo's or uploading your photo's via the internet is constantly being tied to technology. I'm reading a 2013 thru hikers blog and am following them through the Sierra at this point. I can't even tell you how many times he's mentioned trying to get service to upload photo's, rearrange his solar panels to juice up his slew of electronics, or get to town to get his laptop from his bounce box. Coffee and recharging his electronics to upload photo's seem like his main goal every day. IMO that just seems like a big leash. I think I'm going to take the route of sending home SD cards every 500 miles or so. They're small, light, and you can get protective cases for them. I might even go camera-less and use my iphone instead, dropping them into an e-mail que whenever i get reception as a way to "back them up." And that's saying a lot for a photo major. The accessibility of point-and-shoot trumps the small step in quality you get with a SLR unless you plan to make a coffee table book.

trevor