[pct-l] PCT Community Bear Canister Loan Program - 2014

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Sun Jan 12 21:55:00 CST 2014

Attention: 2014 nobo PCT thru-hikers...

Announcing the eighth year of the PCT Community Bear Canister Loan Program!

Are you on a very tight budget having limited finances or coming from outside the USA or from an area of the country in which you won't have ANY use whatsoever for a bear canister after your PCT thru-hike?
You
 may be able to borrow a bear canister for your PCT thru-hike for 'free'
 - except for USPS return shipping and $5 Kennedy Meadows Store package
fee ('new' in 2013, the canisters are now stored and distributed in the
Kennedy Meadows area, PCT mile ~702)...
The loan program is NOT necessarily done on a 'first come - first served basis', but rather on a show of 'some' need, however small, in the borrower selection process...
The
 loan program is run solely on the HONOR SYSTEM - so please be honest,
open, and thorough when submitting your request (requests remain
confidential)...
Sorry, but the loan program is not set up to serve
sobo thrus nor JMT hikers - we do NOT ship the canisters to thrus on the
 trail, canisters must be picked up & signed out in person... Long
section hikers will also be considered, but primary focus is on
thru-hikers...

If you think you might qualify for a bear canister
 loan for your 2014 nobo PCT thru-hike, please contact me off-list via
email - and explain your reason or need to borrow a bear canister for your hike...
Selected
 borrowers must provide an active (during & after your hike) email
address and phone number, your anticipated start date, and 'planned' ETA
 at Kennedy Meadows (conservative guesstimate for KM is okay)...
Selected
 borrowers must also agree to an informal 'contract' via email before a
canister is reserved in your name and the loan is 'finalized'...

Please do not delay until the last moment to request a canister; we would like to arrange and finalize all canister loans by March 15th.

Thank you.

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA) Payne
(email: enyapjr at comcast dot net; subject: PCT Bear Can Loan)