[pct-l] Cost of hike

GottaWalk gottawalk at pacbell.net
Fri Jan 10 10:23:25 CST 2014

Twice this week I have gotten requests for help on planning a cross country hike, and the specific question of cost of the hike. Trying to convince the future hikers of variations in hiking style, needs and speed still has both writing back to say "how much".

Now I want to throw out a dollar/mile number. When we hiked the AT in 2003 the number used was $1/mile. Even then that was recognized to be on the low side. The American Discovery Trail is 5000 miles. Anybody have current rules of thumb for cost of hiking today?

I wish those prospective hikers would join this list and read Jardine.

Thanks,
GottaWalk