[pct-l] Gas canister availability on PCT

Daniel Zellman danielzellman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 07:59:59 CST 2014

We used a Solo Stove (http://www.solostove.com/), with the optional alcohol
burner through California, and loved it for its versatility, but finally
decided to switch out to a little Coleman canister stove somewhere around
Ashland (don't remember exactly), main reason being the uncertainty of
finding alcohol along the trail. Gas canisters were pretty widely
available, as Kevin's list posted by Yoshiro indicates, but we had them
shipped to our resupply stops, since we weren't willing to risk running out
of fuel and being unable to cook. (This was our main motivation for the
using the Solo in the first place, as it gives you the option of using
biomass, but biomass of course leaves everything sooty and black, and is
also very labor- and time-consuming -- in order to get and keep a hot
enough flame to boil water, you have to keep constantly feeding tiny twigs
into the thing, and it can be pretty cumbersome.)

Shipping the canisters is no problem if you order them on Amazon well
enough in advance to allow for ground shipping (usually it was eight to ten
days).

-dz
(Co-captain, Team No Hurries)